Re: [ARSCLIST] Quarter-inch splicing tabs

I'll second your opinion about the BTL reissues !!  FANTASTIC !!

A pity that there will probably be no more from them.

About optical film sound , there was a method used by editors and projectionists alike to reduce the pops caused by scratches and splices in the film stock.
This utilised a opaque lacquer that would be applied to the desired area
in an arc pattern which would eliminate the sudden passing of harsh sudden transients  as they passed the optical train in the soundhead.

It is very effective ! It was called " Blooping " the track.

No one uses this method anymore, probably considered by many to be a lost art.  Most  platter houses wouldn't give this method use as it can be very time consuming. And most film goers wouldn't care anyway.

Sincerely,

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/11/2006 7:05 AM >>>
Film editing is a different thing. You have to keep the sprockets distance right. There have been
editing jigs for film since the earliest days of film. With optical-sound film, you will hear pops
and ticks on edits because it's entirely possible to mate up different parts of a wave-form and it's
also very easy to scratch the emulsion, particularly with edge-only opto-sound. Really good sound
editors used to be able to go by the visible soundtrack on the film. As you probably know, the first
binaural-stereo recordings were done by Bell Labs on optical sound-film and re-released on LP in the
1970s. Stokowski and the Philly and they put some then-current many-mic/many-track records to shame
sound-wise.

By the way, editing mag-film has the same limitations as optical in that sprocket distance must be
maintained. There isn't much time between sprockets but there sometimes is enough to make an edit
difficult.

-- Tom Fine