Re: [ARSCLIST] The Future of RECORD Collecting - an interesting documentary

True, but they don't quite sound the same. I went into a Guitar Center to buy some Stanton headshells and contact cleaner and saw those CD-scratching-faux-turntables a while back. Their response to input seems slow and the sound isn't as raw. But the main reason they exist is to make available to DJs material that isn't available on LP.
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "steven c" <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Future of RECORD Collecting - an interesting documentary

----- Original Message ----- From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
I got a copy of Scratch for Christmas.  These DJs are like popular
musicologists.  They have encyclopedic knowledge of funk, kitsch, etc..
Very entertaining book.  They are "like" jazz musicians in a way.  Maybe
they could be considered percussionists.

However, it is worth noting that there now exists software that allows
one to "scratch" a CD as though it were an analog disc!
Steven C. Barr
(who has a number of 78's that are "pre-scratched!...)