Re: [ARSCLIST] Mystery singer -- who is this lady?

Well it doesn't sound like this Kay Starr recording of the song:

http://www.mp3.com/albums/178573/summary.html

Robert Wasserman
Rawasserman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sound Archives Proj. Asst.
Wisconsin Historical Society
608-264-6473

>>> tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/7/2006 7:30 AM >>>
http://www.richardhess.net/ampex/mystery_singer/

I put an MP3 at the above link from a tape I got in, mystery female singer. Yes, this music is not
exactly my taste either but here are some relevant facts:

1. tape is early 60's type, Scotch 202 or something similar. It's not in great shape, not in
terrible shape. 15IPS NAB.

2. Not tones or splices, so I think it's a safety. The audio quality is excellent, and it was
obviously done in a good studio with good players behind the singer, so I think it was a major
record company gig.

3. the tape was in a lot of allegedly bulk-erased tapes but the client said it might have come from
somewhere else. This 19-minute section, which seems to be an LP side worth of tunes, was spooled
onto a 7" reel and was in a plain white box that, based on its condition, was probably later than
when the reel was made.

4. the tape was fast-wound onto the reel but was tails out. As I said earlier, it played OK and did
not have any splices except to paper leader at the head and tail. So I think it's a studio copy or a
safety.

Any tips as to who's got the nice pipes, please let me know. Based on her spoken and singing parts
on other songs, I would say she is native French or French Canadian. Again, this music is not my
taste but based on her intonation, the fact that there is a good orchestra behind her with tight
arrangements and the way she is mixed clearly out front of the band, I'd say she is a pro and this
was a real-deal record company gig.

-- Tom Fine