Re: [ARSCLIST] And now for something completely different...

Marantz 660 and 670 have been reported by users to have noisy preamps, which may, or may not, have been improved in the 671.

David Lewiston

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie Azile O'Connell" <marie.oconnell@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: February 24, 2006 2:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] And now for something completely different...

Hi Richard and all

This is for field recordings/oral histories using Marantz PMD 660's. We are
wanting to purchase bigger cards, 2 or 4 Gig, so the operator doesn't feel
pressured into getting back to the Center after just one interview. They will
record in wav format. http://www.zzounds.com/item--MARPMD660

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Cheers
Marie

Quoting "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

At 01:02 PM 2/23/2006, Marie O'Connell wrote:
>I have been asked by my boss if there is a 'preferred' Flash Memory Card
for
>digital recordings.  Any tips would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Hi, Marie,

Well, this is a new field for us in audio land, but it is
well-discussed in digital photography arenas.

Digital photography is no more immune to rumour and innuendo than
audio, and a fair amount of FUD floats around there, too.

With that said, I have both Lexar and Sandisk cards which have
performed flawlessly. A discussion thread on the Canon digital board
seemed to favour Sandisk over Lexar. A discussion on the Nikon
digital board also said that Kingston was excellent for less.

Before making a huge investment, I think trying out the card in the
intended device is a good choice.

What devices are you selecting that use the CF cards?

Cheers,

Richard

Tape Restoration Seminar: MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site. Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Sound Engineer/Sound Consultant
Center for Oral History & Cultural Heritage
University of Southern Mississippi
Phone: 601-266-6514
Mobile: 601-329-6911