Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette obsolescence - digitizing standards

Hi, Steve,

I _think_ ( _hope_?) that everyone doing 96/24 is doing it as WAV files and storing it in an IT environment. Kevin is looking at an IT environment. I think once we make the move from physical-format-based storage to file-based storage, it is less of an issue about bit rate and sample rate. After all, PhotoShop doesn't care the pixel dimensions or bit depth of a photograph (though some plugins don't work at 16 bits/pixel). I don't think future audio software will care much about bit rate and sample depth. Much of the stuff I have doesn't care.

But, with that said, I agree that if there isn't a compelling reason to do more than 44.1/16 then we shouldn't blindly follow a "96/24" dictum that was done for some reason.

As Tom said, the only semi-permanent medium we have is gold CD-R. That sort-of says do it at 44.1/16 unless you burn WAV files, but as Tom pointed out, not a very long WAV file fits as data on a CD.

I really only think we should look at >44.1/16 if we are committed to an IT infrastructure -- and maintaining it. The NAVCC document is instructive...and out of reach, Steve, as you point out, to Some/Many/Most archives.

I have built my storage system so the PITA factor Tom discusses is minimized, but, at some point, it will "break" and I'll need more. For the one person who hasn't read it, see http://www.richardhess.NET It's currently the only file on the site that is indexed on the main page.

Cheers,

Richard