Date: 19-Feb-2006
From: Mike Matloff < michelhoo@xxxxxxxxx >
Subject: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!

-------------------------Message 1 ---------------------------------- Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:35:55 From: Mike Matloff < michelhoo@xxxxxxxxx > Subject: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!

Description from The Raw Feed (http://www.therawfeed.com):

'Belgian researchers have been able to use computer scans of the grooves in
6,500-year-old pottery to extract sounds -- including talking and laughter
-- made by the vibrations of the tools used to make the pottery.'

Here's the link to the video:
http://www.zalea.org/article.php3?id_article=496

It's only available in French right now, but even if you don't speak French
I think you can get the general gist and hear the 'playback'!

Mike

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics General Linguistics