Re: [ARSCLIST] 1/4" audio tape digitizing

Hi, David,

The best duplicators were probably Ampex and Gauss, but you'll need to scrounge up lines that are being discontinued. Probably the only ones still working are for 0.150" tape for cassettes. Most of the 0.250" ones have been parted out or are in landfills.

With that said, you need someone like Jay McKnight to set them up -- he did for Ampex and then wrote some papers about it. http://www.flash.net/~mrltapes I don't know if the duplicator papers are there, but Jay is.

An issue with the duplicators is that they were tape-to-tape, or in the end, digital-to-tape. They were never tape-to-digital. While I'm not saying it cannot be done, it's expensive and custom work.

My posts have sort-of outlined what is possible with high-end pro decks like the APR-5000 and the A810/A820. Also probably doable on Ampex ATR-100s. But none of these are specifically duplicator machines.

If you're going to try and maintain 10 kHz response -- which is probably a better goal than 3.5 kHz which is approximately telephone quality -- then 2x is a reasonable compromise, also doing both directions in one pass for a 4x improvement in throughput. The other improvement in throughput is to have one operator simultaneously ingesting 2-4 tapes. With 4 tapes, both sides at once, at double speed, that is a 16x improvement over real-time. My personal opinion is that is approximately the limit for good-quality interview-quality ingest. I would not do that for music.

The next jump up which would double this throughput to 32x is to go to 4x transfer. The problem there, is we're now asking the system to go out to 40 kHz. The APR will probably get you to 28 kHz so that would limit the high end to 7 kHz. That's perhaps a reasonable tradeoff.

You've better get your metadata and file-name structure set up and well defined before going ahead as you're going to end up with lots of gigabytes real quickly in this scenario.

If the tapes are 1/4 track, then you can get another 2x out of doing all the tracks at once.

There is a small hit as you run the flipping routine on the backwards-running tracks, that reduces the throughput, but it should be less than 2-3 minutes per hour track flipped.

Going faster using real duplicator technology would require a custom systems design. Dale Manquen or Jay McKnight are the people to do it. It will be expensive.

Cheers,

Richard