Re: [ARSCLIST] Record tracking,and ageing, was De-static question

This leads me to another question..why were RCA's 70s reissues of early 50s mono
masters so gawdawful? Dull sound in particular, as on "Amahl" and Piatigorsky
playing the Dvorak Concerto on Victrola and "Call Me Madam" on CBM1-2032 (which
also suffers from cutter hum and horrible pitch control.."They Like Ike" is
about 5% slow). I just transferred this set from vinyl DJ 78s, by the
way..fabulous sound on those.

Club issues....yikes. These often turned up in the dollar bins....I picked up
two of the Tchaikovsky Suites for Orchestra (Dorati) on Canadian Mercury in what
I realized later was a "club" pressing. 3 of the 4 sides were original Quality
stampers and the 4th was a re-cut done over at RCA at about half the level.

dl