Re: [ARSCLIST] "Aircheck" history

Many air-check transcriptions I have heard also sound vastly superior to commercial records of the time. However, as can be heard on some CD reissues, a lot better quality was captured in the studio than make it to noisy-surface 78's, which may be played to death by the time someone my age got their hands on it. Some CD's made from clean metal parts sound excellent.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] "Aircheck" history

Rod Stephens wrote:

Hi Tom,

Here's a little more info on "aircheck" from this web site:
http://www.oldradio.com/current/bc_1sts.htm

> ... AIRCHECK
>
>     * According to some reports, the oldest existing aircheck dates to
>       the Armistice Day broadcast, November 10, 1923.
>     * Some WEAF broadcasts of the NY Philharmonic are said to predate
>       that slightly.

Most of the NY Philharmonic aircheck discs I transferred were from December 1923 (3rd, 11th and 17th) and January and April 1924, but there was one disc of unknown provenance and an unidentified orchestra (not the Philharmonic, according to Steve Smolian) playing the Espana Rhapsody and dated July 7, 1923. These were recordings Western Electric was making in its experiments to develop electrical recording..some of them sound excellent, by the way, with more presence and more frequency range than the early commercial discs made by Victor and Columbia (which had to be "safe" so as not to blast or wear out on the players of the day).

dl

Rod Stephens