Re: [ARSCLIST] Camera and camera stand to capture LP covers?

The way I splice LP covers is scan directly into Photoshop and then color correct each half so white is white (using the level controls) and then tweak the color balance from there. Use the crop tool to straighten if necessary (but it was much faster to just learn how to scan it straight from the get-go -- takes some practice at first). Then make the canvas size for the left half 14x14 and move the image over to the left center. Then copy the right half scan and paste into the left half canvas and move into position. Then merge visible layers, crop to 12x12 and save. Sounds longer than it takes once you have some practice. Have never messed with 4 pieces spliced together. As I said, the vast majority of my record albums do not take the content all the way out to the edges and I'm not picky enough to mind if the top of a photo is slightly cut off as long as it's not cutting off someone's eyes or something.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Francesco Martinelli" <fmartinelli@xxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Camera and camera stand to capture LP covers?

Same with me, Joel, plus here in Italy the "legal" size is more expensive than in the USA because is less common. So we did purchase an A3+ scanner which I find very useful also for quicker scanning of magazine pages two by two, small posters, tabloid journals, and the like. We do quite a lot of that and the machine (Epson 10000 XL) works very well but it's very expensive too. I noticed that's even made in Japan, must be the only piece of computer electronics we have not made in China. Trials with cameras were always unsuccessful for the reasons already expressed, even if I do use this technique for "visual notes" about content of Lps. But all this doesn't solve the problem of portable equipment I am afraid.
Francesco

Francesco Martinelli
c/o Centro Studi Arrigo Polillo
Associazione Siena jazz