Re: [ARSCLIST] Inkjet & thermal CD printing

At 10:36 AM 1/30/2006, Maze, Elinor A. wrote:
Does printing CD-Rs with an inkjet printer (eg., Epson Stylus R220 or R800) or a thermal printer (eg., TEAC P-11) compromise the archival longevity of the discs? Is printing discs in one of these ways preferable to using adhesive labels, if there is a compelling need to label?

Hi, Elinor,

I haven't tried the TEAC P-11, I use the Primera Signature Z-1. They suggest printing before you burn. In looking at the online description of the TEAC
http://www.teac.com/DSPD/PR/TEAC_AMERICA_Launches_One-Color_Thermal_Printer.html
it looks essentially identical (except in more modern black) to the Pimera Z-1.
http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

Most of my discs need to be labeled in some form, so I use the Z-1 for almost all discs.

Jerry Hartke can probably tell us why this is bad for us, but, so far, I haven't seen any negative effects when printing on MAM-A gold discs. Obviously, it's a non-issue with DVD-Rs, but, alas, we don't have an outstandingly archival DVD-R yet, at least according to Joe Irasci's accelerated aging tests.

Anything is FAR better than the glue-on labels. Please do not use those. I have seen them lift the reflective layer off the CD.

I think the Inkjet printer is probably OK, too, but on most of them, the ink smears with even a little moisture. The thermal printing is quite permanent.

Burning the disc after printing may allow the burn process to identify any errors that the printing process may have caused.

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/