Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

----- Original Message -----
From: "James L Wolf" <jwol@xxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>
> "One point...there seems to be a lot of confusion about the
> different copyrights and terms...I've seen posts suggesting
> the 1923 date applies to recordings, when Sonny Bono made
> sure it DIDN'T!"
>
> Actually, Bono just extended the out-of-copyright date for pre-1972
recordings from 2047 to 2067. The original decision was made by Congress in
the 70's to keep the various state laws operative until 2046. Basically,
Congress gave everything pre-72 a new 75 year term under their old state
laws. Clearly, they weren't thinking about preservation issues for older
recordings. Bono just added more salt to that wound

At least it was some improvement over the maze of state laws, some of
which were effectively rendered eternal by a lack of any expiry dates
or terms...