Re: [ARSCLIST] reel to reel tape deck

Do a google search for "Terry's Rubber Rollers" for the rubber parts. Run the machine up VERY slowly on a variac, or you could loose resistors and a transformer. Start at 0 and work your way to line voltage over a couple days (with the power switch "on"). Many old machines die a horrible death because they sit for years and the electrolytic capacitors go bad. But if you warm them up slowly, they should re-form. And maybe the rubber isn't shot. If it was sealed, perhaps they might work.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Stern" <sternth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 3:20 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] reel to reel tape deck

I have recently retrieved a Reel to Reel tape deck I bought many years ago, which landed in storage shortly after I got it.
It was either never used or used for a few hours. Haven't opened the box yet, so do not know the condition. I assume that the rubber parts are probably shot, and would like to know if anyone knows a source for parts and service.....
The deck is an AKAI GX230D.
Thank! Thomas.