Re: [ARSCLIST] Odd turntable

Was that an update of Fairchild's motor-control system that used a tube driver? I forgot the details on it but they had a turntable in the early 60's that used a tube oscillator to create some sort of reference frequency which controlled what I think was a DC motor. I've seen one in pieces and I may not be describing the thing correctly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:12 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Odd turntable

I just obtained a pair of turntables, Russco RT-700, which I've never seen nor heard of before.

This is not the QRK rumble-grumble look-alike but seems custom made. It apparently uses an optical sensor and internal glass strobe to stabilize the speed (as others do). There is a brake disc and a transistorized circuit to control the brake. The power supply is external. It plays 33 and 45, locked speed, adjusted only by tweaking adjustments when the turntable is removed. It's sturdy and was intended for broadcast use. Apparently, it goes from zero to 45 in a few inches of the first turn.

The base is machined aluminum and must have been close to custom made, as I can see burnishing swirls on parts of the base. The schematic and exploded view in the manual are engineering drawings dated 2/21/85 and 11/15/84 respectively.

The tone arm mounts on a removable aluminum board to the right of the turntable.

I was told it cost $ 800 new in 1985 and had been ordered from the company which had exhibited at an NAB show or the like.

I plan to sell them, and would be interested in any info on this model that others may have had. Nothing shows on Yahoo or eBay for this model.

Thanks,

Steve Smolian