Re: [ARSCLIST] Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity (was Vinegar syndrome audio tapes (now MP3)

Hi Karl-I guess I may fall into the hearing damage category. Besides running a highspeed dental drill for 35 years, I also play snare drum in a bagpipe band. I use hearing protection for the band. I am thankful that I can turn the volume up when I listen, because I love music. I listen to my iPod with B&O A8 ear phones, and am still in the process of burning some cd's to try to determine how much difference my ears can tell between cd quality, Apple Lossless and MP3 at 196 kbs. I will try this with both the A8's and my faithful AR 2ax's. Fortunately I have most of the original cd's that I have stored on my iPod. Whether we like it or not, there is a huge body of folks listening to their iPods, probably too loud. I would suspect, though, that many are not actually listening to "music."