Subject: A note on CD-R was Changing to Digital from Cassette Tapes
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:14:43 -0800
From: Mary Larson <malarson@xxxxxxx>
To: H-ORALHIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Pamela Henson <HENSONP@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006

While the Mitsui MAM-A appear to have a good track record for
longevity, it should be noted that sound archivists have found
that they have a very high error rate when first writing the
data, sometimes to the point of failure, sometimes getting close
to the BLERmax 50.  So they should be used with caution and
tested after data burning.  Mitsui is attempting to address this
now.

Pam Henson

Smithsonian Archives is Moving!

The Smithsonian Institution Archives will be relocating to new
offices a few blocks away from its current home in the Arts and
Industries Building to Capital Gallery (7th and Maryland Ave. SW)
in Spring/Summer 2006.  For a period of several months as we
prepare for and complete the move, archival services will be
limited or unavailable.  We ask that you try to anticipate
your records management and reference needs as far in advance as
possible so that we may serve you better.  Please check our
website for updates and specific information.
<http://siarchives.si.edu>

Note new addresses due to anthrax crisis: Pamela M. Henson Historian Institutional History Division, MRC 414 Smithsonian Institution Archives PO Box 37012 Washington, DC 20013-7012 (All non-USPS such as FEDEX: Pamela M. Henson, Historian Institutional History Division Smithsonian Institution Archives Room 2135, Arts and Industries Building 900 Jefferson Drive, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20024) Tel: 202-786-2735 FAX: 202-357-2395 hensonp@xxxxxx

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through https://webmail.unr.edu

--

Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist