Re: [ARSCLIST] Brunswick Records rights/Universal

Looks like Universal is going to focus on LP-era material. That's fine, and I hope they do a good job with these things and make them available at at-least CD quality. But the fact that they're not touching the 78-era material is telling. It helps make the case that the vast majority of this material has NO commercial viability now or in the forseable future. Plus the digitizing costs must be much higher.

Is there any progress in the general drive to make earlier sound-recording rights similar to other contemporaneous material (i.e. pre-23 PD, post 22 into PD starting 2018)? With all this data about unavailability, and now this first seeming corporate reaction, such a schema should be an acceptable compromise to all parties.

Hope springs eternal.

James

PS
All opinions mine. Nothing to do with LOC. Etc.

>>> seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/22/06 1:04 AM >>>
Speaking of Universal, they've been in the press this past week for
unveiling plans to digitize 100,000 recordings in their archives.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/82380/universal-unveils-digital-archeology-scheme.html

David Seubert
UCSB