Re: [ARSCLIST] CD Longevity

Joe_Iraci@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Since the paper mentioned below was written, I did test other
phthalocyanine dye and gold metal layered discs. Below is a post I made to
AMIA-L in December.

In some cases you are not sure who actually manufacturers the discs, but for what it is worth here is a list of gold metal-layered discs with phthalocyanine dye that I have come across. Not sure if all are currently available.

Brand - Kodak; Manufactured by Kodak (discontinued)
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/faqs/faq1632.shtml

I was reasonably content with this one - and with Kodak Ultima media which were very fine when they were in production - until that last Q&A:

Kodak claims that the data lifetime on its CD-R Ultima media is 100+ years. How can this be when I have I read that unwritten CD-R media has a shelf life of 5-10 years?
Because that's as long as unwritten CD-R media has been tested. There is no reason to believe that unwritten media won't last as long as written media. Archival lifetime testing is typically performed on written media.

The meaning of failure is fundamentally different for written and unwritten discs. That penulitmate sentence appears to me entirely 'off the wall', comparable with saying there's no reason to believe that the cheese won't last as long as the mayonnaise.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/