Re: [ARSCLIST] CD writing speed

The Plextor Premium drives come with Plextools software, which will
allow you to analyze CD error rates.  Using Plextools, you can then
experiment with different media and drives.

The Plextools software only works with Plextor Premium drives.  It's
my understanding that there is additional hardware required in the
drive in order to perform the error analysis.  This means that you
could burn media using different drives, but you would have to
analyze the results by reading the burned media on the Plextor
Premium drive.

The Plextor Premium drives have a variety of burning speed
optimizations (VariRec and PowerRec).  VariRec allows you to tweak
laser power during burn, and PowerRec monitors error rate while
burning and varies burning speed accordingly (PowerRec tries to
burn as quickly as possible but with minimal errors).  Plextor
gives you more tools and flexibility than any other burner I've
used.

Also, it is my understanding that blank CD-R media has the max
recording speed encoded on it, but I don't know that all CD burners
read and abide by this information.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128