Re: [ARSCLIST] proper cataloging terminology: acetate vs lacquer?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Steven Smolian wrote:

> It's necessary they be described accurately enough within the catalog system
> to be sure they are reproduced with the proper equipment.   It seems to me
> that this is one of the major functions of the catalog.  It's a preservation
> issue.

I would agree that identification to insure the use of proper equipment is
important, however, I am not so sure I support the notion that the format
needs to be a part of the cataloging description...I can see the hate
letters already...

I guess I see the information contained being the most important and since
we will never be in a position to address the cataloging backlogs, my
"cause" has been to simplify the process of cataloging. True, having the
information in a different format can actually mean the information is
different...a reel to reel tape versus a disc, etc. But, for me,
considering the huge quantity of materials that remain uncataloged, at
some point one really needs to make some tough decisions as to not only
what gets cataloged but the depth of the cataloging. Further, who might be
charged with determining priorites and then one would need to find staff
adequately informed to enforce those guidelines...assuming that a good set
of guidelines could be created...a perspective I do not share.

> We are all encountering a generation that cannot tell us over the phone if
> what they have are 78s, LPs or 45s.  Why, LPs are the larger ones, of
> course.

Recently I assigned a  student studying the Copland Third to listen
to several recordings we had in our collection. I had made a CD of the Szell
broadcast which had the original ending of the piece, so that was not a
problem since it was on CD...but then the Dorati recording (which
was, as I recall the first commercial issue) has not been issued on
CD...at least as far as I know. The student came back, telling me the
librarian had handed him the LP but the student said he didn't know what
to do with it...or what it was. Of course he wouldn't know, he was born in
1983 and probably got his first "record player" when he was seven or
so...way back in 1990.

Karl