Re: [ARSCLIST] Future data recovery from [Memorex CDs]

In a message dated 1/15/2006 8:59:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Okeh...what we need, then, is a bit of microcomponent that can be
put in a four-pin (or was it five?) tube base, or inside an old
tube, and duplicate the function and impedances of a UX-245...

Steven C. Barr
***********

There used to be solid state replacements for tubes. We have custom built
UX199 replacements in our Radiola III in the museum.

Teledyne made more sophisticated ones by the thousands to replace tubes in
long distance telephone relays. They were called Fetrons and there were several
to replace a number of miniature tube types.
http://www.sigtel.com/tel_tech_fetrons.html

The point is that if there is a demand, it is quite possible to replicate
older technology using more sophisticated technology. What we need to be
concerned about is that there will be something left to apply the technology to.

Mike Csontos