Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool--off brands

Maxell -- one caveat. I have at least 100 reels of Maxell UD35-90 and UDXL35-90B. Of those, one reel that was stored under bad conditions (it was in a box in the garage for over a year because I didn't realize it was in there) developed something akin to sticky-shed. It was a back-coated reel. Nothing similar has developed on the other reels.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 07, 2006 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Risk assessment tool--off brands

"Scott D. Smith" wrote:

Don,

I have heard that Newark used Audio Devices (Audiotape) stock for their
house brand, but no one has ever confirmed that for me, so I wouldn't
give it much merit.

I have only seen a few rolls of  Newark over the years (seems to have
been used mostly by home hobbyists). I haven't had an opportunity to try
and match it to any known stocks, so I really don't have a clue-would be
interesting to find out.

I haven't seen any mention of Memorex, BASF, Pyral, Maxell or any
Russion stocks? Comments anyone?

Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Back-coated BASF and AGFA 1.5 mil as used by the European broadcasters has held up fine, in my experience..an exception is an unknown 1-mil back-coated type used by Deutsche Welle which would turn sticky before I got it home. I had some blue Pyral in the 70s which went sticky pretty quickly and I avoided trying it again. The stuff the Russian broadcasters used in the 80s and 90s seems fine..packs very loosely, for some reason (and their 7" reels are even flimsier than the white box tapes used, or those slotted reels Zonal had). Haven't had any problems with black oxide Zonal either, although the leader the BBC added to it is always sticky!

No comment on Memorex. Maxell seemed to be the only tape available to consumers for a number
of years..seems okay.

What really takes the cake is getting tape used by a studio which puts it in their own
boxes, so you never know what it was. In the early 90s I had a bunch of what I thought was
fabulous back-coated tape, which had been used for TV soundtrack sync tracks by Manta Sound
in Toronto. It was NOT 456 or 226..had a more polished oxide. Turned sticky within the year.

dl