Re: [ARSCLIST] ruminations on the ARSClist-was: message board vs. listserv

Brandon, well said - spoken like a true archivist!

There is a wealth of knowledge embedded in these threads, and finding
those nuggets and the related posts isn't always easy, especially for
ARSCLIST newcomers.

So as much as ARSC focuses on sound collections, perhaps more attention
should be paid to preserving the valuable discussions about sound
collecting, and archiving that knowledge in a slightly more usable
format (although less interactive and immediate).

Personally, I like the interactivity and immediacy - but that's because
I lean more towards active participation rather than lurking.  However,
I suspect that lurkers represent the majority of the membership.

One nice thing about forums/boards is that you can start dividing
subject matter into categories, like "mechanical media" and "magnetic
media", or "cataloging" and "storage".  This makes for a great tool
to learn more about recorded sound collections.  And for those with
a particular focus, it helps weed out subjects not of interest.

To pseudo-paraphrase Brandon, the question to ask perhaps:

Does the ARSCList want to leave an easily accessible legacy of
knowledge for others, or does the ARSCList want to be a "place"
where people with similar interests hang out and share knowledge.

With a bigger picture in mind, I'm willing to give up some immediacy
and interactivity in order to promote better sharing of knowledge.

And with that, I cast one vote for the message board.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
tel: 408.221.2128
fax: 408.549.9867