Re: [ARSCLIST] Siegfried Borries and Johannes Schueler/ Schüler

Thank you, Don and everybody! I got to update my database with this info.

By the way: Schueler is spelled Schüler in German, but for people with
keyboards without the umlaut [¨], it is correct to write Schueler instead
of Schüler - just remember to use both Schuler and schueler when you
search...

I have 11 LP's with Schüler and 2 78's with Borries that are catalogued so
far - the last Borries just turned up the other day on the cataloguer's
table, as a matter of fact. On the one (HMV - AL 3061), Borries plays the
Tchaikovsky Romance in e minor and the Paganini sonata nr 12 in e minor
with Dr. Adolf Stauch as the accompanist. On the other one (HMV - EG
6248), he plays the Svendsen Serenade and the Simonetti Madrigal with
Heinz Breiden (flute) and Max Saal (harp).

Jacqueline von Arb
Norwegian Institute of Recorded Sound

  Borries was born in 1912 and died in 1980. As a subsequent poster said,
he
was the concertmaster of the Berlin Philharmonic for a time. He made
numerous
records, including a companion 78 to Beethoven's F Major Romance on
Electrola
CD 4661, the G Major (also with Schueler and the BPO) on Electrola DB 4662
and
a scarce 78 set of Bruch's Concerto no. 1 with the Prussian State
Orchestra
conducted by Fritz Zaun on Electrola DB 7672/4. A lot of LPs too. The
Busoni
Concerto with Celibidache was preceded by one in the 1950s with the Berlin
Radio
Symphony Orchestra conducted by Arthur Rother on (USA) Urania URLP 7043.

  Schueler (1894 - 1966) had a moderately distinguished career and also
made
numerous recordings on 78s and early LPs, including an excellent Haydn 100

with the Vienna Philharmonic for the German Imperial label on 78s. Many
more
recordings for that label, too. Also Boris Blacher's Concertante Musik
with the
BPO on Electrola 78s. There were a number of USA Urania LPs by him, too.

  Hope this helps. And yes, the record you got is a good one!
Congratulations.

  Don Tait