To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Acoustic playback, 78 cartridge and stylus question

I have been following this discussion. Someone else asked about more modern electric playback.
Using a new cartridge and 78 stylus, which ones work best for various types? I also ask this for the purely selfish reason that I need new ones myself. I am asking about the midprice range, not the cheapest, nor expensive. What do people use on a daily basis? The other side of the question is are there combinations that work best for acoustic, for electric, and then for the more modern post WWII 78s. I would prefer to only buy one cartridge (but only used for 78s) and then get the separate styli. I use a standard mount head shell.

I used to have various ones for different purposes, but most are now lost or damaged. I have tended to use Shure, and I remember the early 78 one of the late 70s when they had to be carefully cut with a razor or knife in order to fit into a cartridge. I still have a V15III cartridge but I never found it satisfactory, it played too light.

Cheryl Thurber

Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There were two pages - each about six years old and substantially in
need of modernizing. I've made some slight modifications, but otherwise
they are as I posted them in the last millennium.

http://www.operas-are.us/

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/

Dr. Cheryl Thurber email: cthurb@xxxxxxxxx

410-747-5557

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.13.13/197 - Release Date: 12/9/2005