Re: [ARSCLIST] Acoustic playback, 78 cartridge and stylus question

It's not really appropriate for the archivist who needs 10+ different interchangeable stylus tips (truncated, elliptical, spherical...). But what I'd suggest as the best sounding/performing mono moving coil cartridge at an affordable price is the Denon DL102SD. The SD is for special, i.e., large diameter diamond for 78 playback. They are true mono transducers, filter out 27dB of vertical noise and just sound more "right" compared to a moving magnet. They are usually made to order by some old master in Japan (by hand!). It took 5 weeks for mine to come in from Japan. They make LP and 78 versions. There are the obvious problems with moving coils, chiefly being non-user-replaceable tips. But that can be done for around $150 at Expert Stylus in London.
Here are interesting pages to look at:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/murraya/DenonMonoPage.htm
http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/export2.htm
I know many folks who buy from Eifl without problems.
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12283
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=34292

You might consider the AudioTechnica AT-mono3 SP:
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Home+Audio_Cartridges/product/Audio-Technica_AT-MONO3_SP_Monaural_Private_MC_type_Stereo_Cart.html
I ordered from Auidocubes and had no problem. And the prices are very good.
Best of luck,
Phillip
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Cheryl Thurber" <cthurb@xxxxxxxxx>
I have been following this discussion. Someone else asked about more modern electric playback.
Using a new cartridge and 78 stylus, which ones work best for various types? I also ask this for the purely selfish reason that I need new ones myself. I am asking about the midprice range, not the cheapest, nor expensive. What do people use on a daily basis? The other side of the question is are there combinations that work best for acoustic, for electric, and then for the more modern post WWII 78s. I would prefer to only buy one cartridge (but only used for 78s) and then get the separate styli. I use a standard mount head shell.

Cheryl Thurber