Re: [ARSCLIST] Archive/Archives

Though this analysis terrifically logical and might as well be right, it does not agree with the common usage by archivists (I am not working as one at the moment, but have done so in my spotty past from time to time). An archives can be concerned with a single corporate body or subject ("The Steven C. Barr Archives", the "Memphis Blues Archives,. etc.). I see archive clumsily used as a verb a lot, but it doesn't have much currency as a noun. Note that this does not apply to the real world, just the archives zone.

There is no reason you need to care about this or that there would ever be any confusion if you used archive instead of the more officially sanctioned archives and I am sure I am guilty of picking a mighty nit here, but facts are facts. Take em or leave em.

My best,

Peter Hirsch
stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>

The report "Copyright Issues Relevant to Digital Preservation ..." uses the word 'archives' as a singular, typically in a phrase such as
a libary or an archives ...
That's a construction new to me and not reflected in the OED. It seems unlikely to be a typographic error, so can someone explain the distinction between 'archive' (singular) and 'archives' (singular)?

AFAIK, an archive (singular) is a collection of either a certain
type of object (i.e. my 78 archive) and/or documents which apply
either to a single topic or are connected to a single common
thread (i.e. an institutional archive). ArchiveS (plural)
indicate what might be better described as a collection of
collections...and in some cases is used to indicate that
something (usually a created work) is so outdated as to
belong to the past and placed in some repository of things
ancient and obsolete,,,