[ARSCLIST] To keep the tapes or not

Thank you both Angie and Russ,

The originals consist of acetate 1/4" (some of which have vinegar syndrome and are in very bad shape), polyester 1/4" (good shape), but the vast majority (95%+) are cassette and they are all in good shape too.

As I said, I will be retaining all originals.  So, the question remains, why keep the 1/4" copies, which are one generation down in the analog domain, when there are 2 CDs (protected by geographic separation) and .wav files on site of all originals?

Thank you again for your consideration and responses.  It is great having other perspectives to inform my thinking.

Sincerely,

Kevin Irelan
************

Russ Hamm wrote:
>>I guess the question would be,
>> What is the original medium from which the tapes were made and what is
>> the status and condition of that medium? Do the 1/4 " tapes become a
>> redundant step in the process of preservation?

I think this is a good point.  If the originals are not showing signs of
deterioration, I would see no reason to hang on to tape copies.  Maybe
an assessment of the originals would be in order.  Only keep the copies
for those originals that may need attention.

Though I don't archive original material, I encourage my customers to
hang on to originals.  One never knows what turn technology will make in
the future.

Angie Dickinson Mickle
www.avocadoproductions.com