Re: [ARSCLIST] turntables and John Cage

Paul Charosh <L78rpm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>A second question: I have been told that radio stations would have had
>test-tone recordings (perhaps were even required to have them) not only  to
>calibrate turn-table speeds, but also to test for possible interference with
>
>neighboring stations. Is this information correct and/or can you elaborate
>for  me
>about the usage of these discs?

Typically, these discs are used to calibrate turntable playback.  They are
(or were) used to set playback speed, sound reproduction levels, test for
frequency response, distortion, etc. etc.

The CBS Laboratory discs are the most famous and most common.  Similar discs
were manufactured by B&K in Denmark as well as other organizations.

Practically all of the discs have several minutes of constant tones recorded
on them so that one doesn't have to keep running back to the turntable and
dropping the needle again in order to complete adjustments.

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxx>
Recording/Production/Broadcast Engineer