From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce Maddocks
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:39 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Tape Speed resolver question

Seasons Greetings all!

I have a question that might be able to be answered by someone with a
"Way Back Machine" in their archiving arsenal.

I need to archive several 2"16 track tapes that are striped with a sync
tone on track 16.

The tapes were recorded in 1975 and I have had no success in discovering
what type of resolver/synchronizer hardware was used to generate the
sync tone and then speed resolve the tapes.

A spectrum analysis of the sync track shows a predominant peak at about
3KHz.

The signal may be a form of FM pilot.

I was able to obtain a sound sample of EECO sync code off of the
internet but that code was not similar to what is on the tapes.

I can email a sound sample to anyone interested in having a look at, or
listen to it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Bruce Maddocks