[ARSCLIST] DAT question follow up

A final note from Steve...

****

Thanks to all for the enlightening posts about bit depth and DAT. My original question was whether DAT recordings use a nominal bit depth of 16 bit and the consensus is a resounding Yes. Therefore, it would seem that nothing is to be gained by transferring at 24 bit and valuable hard drive space is used up in the process.

To clarify my own situation, I am digitally transferring DATs via an AES/EBU interface connected by Firewire to a Mac G5 computer. There is no sample rate conversion, thus 48K DATs end up on an external hard drive as 48K AIFF files which I then also save as WAV files. I have been setting the bit depth at 24, but this seems quite unnecessary under the circumstances. This work is part of an archival audio preservation project funded by the Grammy Foundation. The AIFF and WAV files will remain stored on external Firewire/USB hard drives with safety backup copies being burned to Mitsui CDRs. Using Roxio Toast software to burn the CDs, the conversion from 48K to Red Book 44.1K/16-bit occurs in the process. The original hard drive files remain unaffected. The long range plan is to maintain two hard drives, each stored in separate locations with audio CDR backup copies also stored in two locations to hedge against catastrophic loss.

Thanks also to Andy for helping me post to the list— I am not able to get through from the email address I am currently using but I ca be reached off-list at the address below.

Cheers,

Steve Green Western Folklife Center sgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Andy Kolovos