[ARSCLIST] DAT transfers and bit depth

Posted for Steve Green of the Western Folklife Center, he's out of the office and is having some difficulty getting this out to the list:

*******

Hi, While on this subject, could someone comment on bit depth when dubbing from DAT? I am using an AES/EBU set-up and the sampling rate (usually 48K) is recognized automatically but it has been suggested that dubbing DAT at 24-bit is overkill and wastes hard drive storage space. Is there a standard bit depth associated with DAT? In other words should I switch from 48/24 to 48/16? The content is both live music and spoken word, recorded professionally in most cases. Obviously, any audio CDs burned for backup will be at 44.1/16 but I'm wondering what is most appropriate for the WAV and/or AIFF files stored on hard drives?

Thanks!
--
Andy Kolovos