From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of George Brock-Nannestad
Sent: 03 December 2005 21:47
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] LP storage &c. (and bagpipes)

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

We have had small groups of dedicated bagpipe players in Denmark for a long
time, each starting with a practice chanter and playing in some kind of
tartan, complete with sporran, dirk, etc. However, lately, bagpipe music has
become associated with death, burial, possibly of heroes. This is due to dead
soldiers who come from the faraway war theaters we participate in. When the
corpses arrive, airlifted from the theatre, there are bagpipers ready in
Denmark for them. It was never a Danish tradition, but possibly Scottish. I
like bagpipes less, now. But then I actually dislike Ode to Joy (Freude,
schöner Götterfunken) in Beethoven's ninth, ever since the European Union
appropriated it for its "Union Anthem".

Kind regards,

George

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.