Re: [ARSCLIST] LP storage &c.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lani Spahr" <lani_spahr@xxxxxxxxx>
> I'm assuming edge-wise (standing on edge) storage is the preferred
> method, but someone said they heard otherwise, so just tell me the
> definitive storage method so I can pass it on to this person.

Standing on edge is preferable...but with the following caveats...

1) The shelves should either be sloped toward the back of the
cabinet...have something like a railing (flat piece of wood
running along the front of the shelf) or both. Why? Well,
records are round, and if the shelf is level or slightly
sloped TOWARD the front, they can roll forward and off
the shelf!

2) There should be something to hold up the records at the
end of a partially-full shelf. If there isn't, the group of
records can "fall over" and the ones at the end can be
broken as a result.

3) When someone is searching through the records disc by
disc, care MUST be taken. A record can be caught between
the group already seen and the group not yet seen:

---x--- (where x marks the record in question)
\\\|///

tightly enough that when it is pulled forward a piece can
be "bitten" out of it!

I've been storing 78's in milk boxes for about 25 years, all
on edge, and these have been my experiences...