Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

Indeed I do understand. Always it is reality, commercial or otherwise,
colliding with ideals I guess. The facts of life, still some moderation
would be in order.

The characteristics of the original recording medium were always part of
the recording engineer's decisions. When tape hiss is part of the
equation, do you record the top end differently to 'fit' that
limitation? I think you do. When it will then go only to vinyl from tape
do you mix differently the bottom end? Yep. When one excessively removes
the (perhaps objectionable taken by itself) noises, when is the original
intended audible end product lost? I fully understand that
intelligibility is certainly important (and forensic works needs are
entirely different) but trying to make a cylinder, 78, LP, or anything
like that 'sound' 'just like a CD' without going back and mixing for the
new media is IMHO likely to end in excess use of the tools. If you can't
remix (for obvious reasons) why try for silence ? In 1920 did anyone
hear it that way, or expect it that way? Is it preservation to make it
what it never was? Once you pass the point of cleaning up the audio to
sound like a good recording made and played like it was back then, seems
like it is time to stop 'improving' it.

Sorry, got lost into a bit of rage there. I expect everyone one here
concerns themselves deeply about these matters... It is frustrating
though.. :>)