[ARSCLIST] FW: [MLA-L] Pre-conference workshop on Digitizing Music

Sincere there is some audio content in this workshop, readers of this list might be interested.

Jim

> The Music Library Association Preservation Committee and the Education Committee are pleased to be sponsoring a Pre-Conference Workshop on Digitizing Music. We are very excited about our line-up of speakers and the amount of expertise they bring to this topic. We hope you can join us for this informative and educational workshop.

Date/Time: Wednesday, February 22, 2006   8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Check-in begins at 8:00am, conference begins at 9:00 am.
There will be morning, lunch, and afternoon breaks.

The one-day workshop will include four sessions:
W Planning Your Digitization Project
W Test-driving the Technology
W Risk Assessment for Audio Collections: Using the Field Audio Collection Evaluation Tool (FACET) to Prioritize Preservation
W Copyright Issues in a Digital Environment

Learning Objectives:
*	how to plan a digital project based on your local audience and available resources, including the creation of a metadata scheme
*	how to identify preservation problems for archival recordings, prioritizing which recordings require immediate attention
*	step-by-step, how to digitize a musical score and a sound recording
*	to understand copyright issues as they apply to digitized music projects

Presenters:
Mike Casey has training and experience as both an audio engineer and a sound archivist and is currently the Coordinator of Recording Services for the Archives of  Traditional Music (ATM) at Indiana University.

Brandon Goff  teaches music composition/music technology and serves as the director of the music library at Rhodes College.

Amy Maroso-Hatcher is a Visiting Assistant Professor and Visiting Project Coordinator at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  She currently teaches workshops and on-line courses for the University Library's Illinois Digitization Institute digitization training program.

Maureen Whalen is the Associate General Counsel for the J. Paul Getty Trust where she is a transactional lawyer responsible for Intellectual Property matters including licensing rights, acquisition of rights, and rights clearances.

Certificates of Completion will be distributed to all participants.  This workshop is worth 6 contact hours.

Cost: $85.00 (MLA members); $95.00 (Non-MLA attendees)

HOW TO REGISTER
Call-in Registration:
Registration will be limited to 80 participants.  We will be using the following procedure:
Registration will begin on Monday November 14 at Noon, Eastern Standard Time. To register, call Linda Blair at the Sibley Music Library at (585) 274-1368. Registration will continue until November 29 or until all slots are taken (if slots are still available after Nov. 29, you can register by calling or e-mailing Linda lblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx through December 5)

When you call, Linda will take your name, telephone number, e-mail address, and give you a confirmation number to include on the registration form. The final step is sending in your completed registration form, including your confirmation number, and payment (made out to the Music Library Association).

Your mail-in materials must be postmarked between December  1st and 31st to guarantee your spot in the workshop. Registration Questions? e-mail: lblair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Phone:(585) 274-1368

Digitizing Music Registration  Form

Name:___________________________________
Institution:____________________
Address:_____________________________________________
City, State:____________________________________       Zip:________
Phone:_________________________E-mail:___________________________
*Confirmation Number_______
Workshop registration fees :
MLA members $85.00             ________
Non-MLA attendees $95.00     ________
TOTAL AMOUNT $_________

Method of payment:  _____Check enclosed
_____Mastercard         ____VISA
Card number __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
M/Y of Expiration   _____/_____

Credit card payments cannot be processed without card number, expiration date, and signature. Payment must accompany the registration form. Your mail-in materials must be postmarked between December 1st and 31st to guarantee your spot in the workshop.

REFUND POLICY:  Registration will be refunded if minimum registration is not reached.  In all other cases, registration fees will be refunded only in emergency situations and with the approval of the Convention Manager.

Make checks payable to "Music Library Association" and mail to:
Music Library Association
8551 Research Way, Suite 180
Middleton, WI 53562

Holling Smith-Borne