Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

I just listened to these for the first time. How horrible ! Better to
have left the noise there, or at least a heck of a lot more of it.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Lawson
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2005 9:22 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] 78rpm EQ and postprocessing

Tom Fine wrote:

>I'm sure Diamond Cut can be made to work very well, but their own
>"before
>
>and after" page shows some really disasterous overuse of the software:
>
>http://www.diamondcut.com/BeforeAfter/usersamps.htm

The user samples there are not the best representation of what the
software can do.  There are times when DC6 results surpass those from
Cedar, Waves, Algorithmix and Sony.  (I've tried 'em all.)  The
different packages yield different results on different materials...and
user settings are *CRUCIAL.* I have been able to use DC6 to get
spectacular results where the other packages have failed and vice versa.
Ya gotta try 'em all to find out which works best in a particular
circumstance.  I almost never use the same settings twice with any of
these packages.  The last successful arrangement may prove to be only
the starting point for the next project.

Patience, patience, patience....

Chas.

--
Charles Lawson <clawson@xxxxxxxx>