Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens

I think this "can" area is pretty wide. I've used a Sharpie on everything
from generic shiny-foil Staples 100-for-free-after-rebate specials to $1 per
disc gold CDR's and never had a problem. Black, blue, green, purple and red
Sharpies used, sometimes in combination. I don't press hard or make
double-marks, but I don't see how that would make a difference if this
allegedly harmful solvent is in the ink anyway, large mark or small. I
really think this is mostly a myth that probably sprang up because one or
two ultra-cheapo types had non-existent or inadequate coating over the foil
that's over the dye and thus the process of pressing on the foil tore it and
caused ink to mingle with date-holding dye. You shouldn't even use such
discs for original creations or archiving (for copies for the car, for
instance, it can be argued that whatever's cheapest is OK); that's where the
$1/disc gold types earn their price. In my experience, a much more likely
death-scenario with cheapo CDR's is that the foil is so thin and so brittle
that taking the disc out of a cheapo jewel box that grips the center too
hard causes the foil to split and/or peel. That has happened to a few
100-for-free-after-rebate discs, which is why I don't buy them anymore.
Also, as a matter of good practices, one should never make just one copy of
a CDR one values or archives. Media is cheap, losing content is not.

I've actually been astounded by how consistently reliable CD media has been
even as speeds have increased and prices have dropped. I don't think I've
ended up with even 25 coasters in thousands of discs burned -- and that's
including our duping operation at work where I buy the dirt-cheapest media I
can find. Even under the worst torture, living in my un-garaged truck, CDR's
tend to last a year or more; usually it's their second summer of heat and
humidity that kills them. I think most alleged problems with media are
actually malfunctions of cheapo burners or misbehaving computers. I'm a big
advocate of Plextor drives. Out of those maybe 25 coasters, fewer than half
happened since I switched to Plextor drives for most of my burning, which
was only a couple of years after I started. Plextors seem able to do most
blank media just fine but do seem prone to reject what you'd call the bottom
of the barrell stuff like Staples own-branded blanks. They don't do the
generic/pennies-per-disc types we feed the duper. The duper machine has LG
burners and it's never produced a coaster unless the blank was scratched in
transit and I didn't catch it and toss it before loading it.

By the way, while we're talking CDR's, I've recently come to the conclusion
that it's probably smart to make copies of all one's
enjoyed/valued/treasured/loved music CD's and treat the originals with great
care because so much is being taken out of print. I've been shocked in
recent years at how many jazz reissues from the 1990's are now completely
out of print. Also note that at least one company clearly states on its
packaging how long a title will be in print -- generally 3-5 years after
release. So my point is that one should treat their CD collection as
becoming irreplaceable like their LP collection.

-- Tom Fine