Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-ROM marking pens

Jerome Hartke wrote:
Solvent-based inks, such as used in the Sharpie, can penetrate the
protective layer on the label surface of CD discs. The formulation of this
layer varies; some being more resistant to solvents than others. I am glad
that you have been lucky, but do not recommend use of such pens on discs
that are not easily replaceable.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.

Sanford, makers of the Sharpie, agree with you. They make pens with water-based inks which they recommend instead. I've not found them for sale and have not tried them.

There have been reports of failure due to the Sharpie and other unapproved pens. Note that not only the solvent but also the pigment may be a problem. RCA discovered that when they had to replace thousands of copies of a set of CDs.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/