Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio/Video

David Lynx wrote:
We now have 10,000 images online, and are going to start working on
transferring reel-to-reel, VHS, audio casette, and 16mm to digital.  Most of
the finished products will be accessible in-house, as I think they finished
digital files will probably be too big to be accessible online.  We are
looking at creating transcripts for the material, and possibly offering
samples online.

What I am curious about is what software and hardware everyone is using for
transferring their analog material to digital, and what problems/successes
everyone has had doing this.

Thanks for your help
David Lynx

Again, I am not an archivist or librarian; just an individual with large libraries which need preservation for personal use.

For videotape, I strongly recommend a standalone DVD recorder. While computer operation is more flexible, it is vastly more time-consuming and more susceptible to failure. In addition, once the image is captured in digital form, it can be brought into the computer at negligible loss when time and budget are sufficient for more elaborate processing.

My own choice is a Panasonic recorder with hard drive; there is information about it in the primer on the CD-R side of my WWW site.

Others will surely have recommendations quite different from my operations on audio and on film conversion.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/