Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape - questions...

Robert Hodge wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You are undoubtedly looking at what is refered to as " Back Coated "
> tape. You rembember correctly. The dull side is the backing !!
>
> This tape was developed to  improve the grip of the pinch roller to the
> tape backing to minimise slippage when passing through the capstan..
> Indeed , this tape is recorded on the shiny- Oxide coated- surface .
> Attemptng to record on the dull surface of this type of tape will
> result in muddy, indestinct recording.
>
> Sincerely,
>  Bob Hodge
>
> Robert Hodge,
> Senior Engineer
> Belfer Audio Archive
> Syracuse University
> 222 Waverly Ave .
> Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

On the other hand, we were using half-mil tape at slow speed at CJRT in the
late 60s when this was the only way to record long programs to run on the
automated system. I once recorded the entire 4-hour evening jazz program with
the tape flipped, noticed it after I'd finished recording, said a few choice
words and then checked the playback, and apart from a small loss in highs (this
was mono FM and we probably had 10 listeners in those days) it didn't sound bad
enough to re-do it.

dl