Re: [ARSCLIST] Magnetic Tape - questions...

Hello,

You are undoubtedly looking at what is refered to as " Back Coated "
tape. You rembember correctly. The dull side is the backing !!

This tape was developed to  improve the grip of the pinch roller to the
tape backing to minimise slippage when passing through the capstan..
Indeed , this tape is recorded on the shiny- Oxide coated- surface .
Attemptng to record on the dull surface of this type of tape will
result in muddy, indestinct recording.

Sincerely,
 Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

>>> mbrown@xxxxxxx 11/7/2005 3:25 PM >>>
I work in an archive of mixed materials - paper collections and
audio/visual collections.  I am sorting through reel-to-reel 1/4" audio
tape, and I am seeing things that are making me doubt my prior
standards...

In the classroom and in many "best-practices" that I have read, reels
are recommended to be stored tails-out, oxide facing in.  When splicing
repairs or attaching heads/tails, the splicing tape is to be place on
the backing of the tape - the shiny side.

In my travels through the archive, I am noticing many reels that are
wound shiny-side IN, and many many instances of splicing tape applied to
the dull, recorded side.

Are my standards too high?  Am I remembering my classroom notes
backwards?  Any thoughts would be appreciated, to help me make "heads or
tails" of this.  Thank you!