Re: [ARSCLIST] code on Victor label

  The software on this computer makes quoting messages difficult and
confusing, so I am trying the only method I can find. I hope it works and is
acceptable. If not, I'll revert to paraphrasing the messages to which I am responding -
in this case, David Lennick's about Victor "Z" pressings.

  In my experience, there was a subtle degrading of the quality of Victor's
USA pressings around 1936. They were still excellent and much quieter than had
been the case before the introduction of "Z" material around 1933 and remained
so until the cut-off of shellac due to the war, as Steve Smolian said, but
there was a change. The surfaces of a good-condition "Z" pressing yield no
surface noise at all beyond a steady background hiss. Like an analogue tape, but
louder. There is no crackle or other noise at all. Post-1936 or so pressings are
frequently a bit noisier. They are also more prone to damage from any kind of
dampness, which implies a change in the mix used for pressings: Victors from
about 1937/39 can develop tiny craters about the size of pinheads on top if
they were ever in damp or humid conditions. Any friction will dislodge them,
causing loud clacking and possibly knocking the tip off of a stylus. There are
other factors. I have always found that a "Z" pressing is heavier than previous
or post-1936 pressings; one can feel it in one's hands. The appearance of the
surface in the "land" between the grooves and labels, too: good "Z" pressings
are ultra-smooth, later ones slightly less so. Also, a classic "Z" pressing
has a distinctive font for "Victor," with a long serif on the "r." They seem to
have only used that for about three years at the most, maybe 1933 to early
'36.

  David is correct that some "Z" pressings can have bad surfaces (I've
encountered that too). Also, I have had a couple of Victor 78s with a "z" that were
pressed on the earlier, noisy material and one or two sets pressed on the
later material that still had a "z" on a side or two. Perhaps it was put on the
stampers and removed from them at the wrong times?

  I was told something about "Z" pressings years ago and wonder whether
another member can verify it: that during the 1933 World's Fair ("Centennial of
Progress") in Chicago, Columbia Records won the top prize largely because its
laminated pressings were so quiet. Because of that, Victor responded with the
immensely improved surfacers of "Z" pressings. Is that correct?

  Don Tait