Re: [ARSCLIST] History help needed

At 10/26/2005 05:11 AM, Tom Fine wrote:
I'm trying to definitively gather the history of the studio spaces at 711 5th Avenue,
NY, which were eventually home to my father's first studio, Fine Sound.
Here's what I know, but as you'll see, there are blanks in the timeline.

A great source of information on the history of New York City radio stations is "The Airwaves of New York," by Bill Jaker, Frank Sulek and Peter Kanze, published by McFarland in 1998.

1. the studios were probably (likely) constructed by National Broadcasting
Co. as their first network studios, circa late 20's. I'm not sure exactly
when they opened for business, but it appears NBC was launched in 1926.

"Airwaves" says NBC launched on November 15, 1926 with a broadcast from the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel (now site of the main NY Public Library). WJZ (NBC Blue) was located across the street in the sixth floor of the Aeolian Building at 29 W. 42nd St. According to Banning ("Commercial Broadcasting Pioneer; The WEAF Experiment 1922-1926," by William Peck Banning, Harvard University Press, 1946), WEAF (NBC Red) was still using the studios on the fourth floor of the AT&T Building at 195 Broadway.

WJZ moved into 711 Fifth Avenue in October of 1927. WEAF (NBC Red) joined them about a month later.

2. NBC occupied the studios until 30 Rockefeller Center opened -- in 1934?
Not sure of exact date NBC radio studios moved to Rock Center because there
is conflicting info (surprise). Perhaps someone has an authoratative history
of NBC?

"Airwaves" says they moved to 30 Rock in the autumn of 1933.

3. World Broadcasting Co. occupied the studios before, during and after
WWII. I'm not sure if they were directly after NBC or if there was an
interim occupant. Retired Columbia engineer Frank Laico told me he worked
for World Broadcasting both before and after his WWII service, in that
space.

4. In 1948, WMGM moved into the entire space, according to histories of
WHN/WMGM I've been able to locate.

"Airwaves" confirms that WMGM moved into 711 Fifth Avenue in 1948.

5. When Loews/MGM bought an interest in Fine Sound in 1952 (they licensed my
father's PerspectaSound 3-channel optical soundtrack system), they
apparently moved WMGM to smaller quarters in the space and took over the big
studios (A, B, and C) for Fine Sound. By that time WMGM was moving more to
music-playing and small-format talk radio, so they did not need the big
studios anyway. MGM may have taken over one or more of the big studios
previously to do movie-sound mixing before licensing PerspectaSound. I'm not
clear on MGM's timeline except that WMGM was definitely in the space that
became Fine Sound Studio C later on as of 1949.

So the parts of the timeline I'm fuzzy on are between NBC and WMGM and what
MGM movie studio was doing in the space (if anything) before 1952.

Apparently, Loew's/MGM was producing network-quality programs for syndication, mostly based on MGM Movies such as "Dr. Kildare," "Maisie," and the "MGM Theater of the Air" among others. The syndication operation was based at WMGM, but considering that many of the shows used Hollywood stars, it's likely that they were recorded on an MGM sound stage rather than a New York radio studio. WMGM also carried Dodgers baseball, Knicks basketball, Giants football and Rangers hockey games. WMGM moved to 400 Park Avenue early in 1958. In 1962, the call was changed from WMGM back to WHN.

John Ross