Re: [ARSCLIST] LoC and war reporting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> That was a good report except for typical sloppy lack of basic background
> reporting. A seabee is not "an assistant" to the Marines, and I'm pretty
> sure he's not even a Marine. Every seabee I've heard of was a Navy sailor,
> not a Marine. Only a Marine (ie rifle-trained taker of the Marine oath
> wearing a Marine uniform) is a Marine. But seabees would sometimes be
right
> in the thick of it with the Marines.

IIRC, "seabee" (or "seebee" or "ceebee") stood for "Construction Batallion"
(I may be wrong about the unit) and they were specially trained Navy men
who went in to build airfields and such while the area was still being
fought over. Some of them were training at Keesler AFB (Biloxi, Miss.)
when I was attending electronics school there...