Re: [ARSCLIST] Verve, but not Jazz

Cary Ginell wrote:

> In a message dated 10/18/2005 6:30:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> db65@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> Hi  all,
>
> I have a question about Verve Records, but it's not about  Jazz.  I have a
> wonderful psych/pop album by "The Gordian Knot" which  is from the late 60s
> and is on Verve.  I'm wondering if anyone can  tell me if this was a real
> big departure for the label or if they  regularly had non-Jazz releases?  I
> know they are known for Jazz, but  don't know much else about the label.
>
> Thanks for your  time.
>
> Actually they were the first label to feature standup comedy  performers on a
> regular basis. Beginning with Mort Sahl and continuing with the  likes of
> Shelley Berman, Jonathan Winters, and others, they helped stimulate the  standup
> craze of the late '50s and early '60s.
>
> Cary  Ginell
> Origin Jazz  Library
> www.originjazz.com

They even issued Ricky Nelson's first sides! Three, to be exact..a Barney Kessel
instrumental made up the 4th side, all issued on 78. Spike Jones did a couple of
singles and LPs for them shortly after leaving RCA, they did pop orchestral
material, they even had an lp by Linus Pauling (which was in the 15000 series, I
believe, surrounded by Shelley Berman, Mort Sahl and Jackie Mason).

dl