[ARSCLIST] legal action, and libraries & archives

I'm responding to multiple postings here, so forgive me for not specifying
the authors involved.

First, regarding the restrictions that institutions put on who can hear
archived holdings with murky legal status, it should be stressed that for
most major institutions (and probably most minor ones as well), the main
worry is getting sued down to their skivvies by a copyright holder who
pops out from under a rock with a lawyer by his side. Litigation is
extremely costly and the best way to deal with it is to avoid it in the
first place, hence the restrictions on access and distribution unless all
legal t's and i's have been crossed, dotted, submitted to your mother for
approval and blessed by your local rabbi or shaman. At no institution that
I have worked or interned at was "hoarding" the reason for restrictions on
access.

Second, regarding deaccessioning and dumping of library holdings, we must
keep in mind the difference between libraries and archives. The terms are
usually used interchangeably (most notably/notoriously by Nicholson
Baker).   A library is constantly replenishing its collections with new
items and purging itself of obsolete ones. The latter can be a tricky
process, and what gets kept depends on the library's mission statement and
the constituency it serves. I can't speak for the library that dumped the
old Canadian history, but one guess could be that they got a new edition
and, in the interest of saving space, dumped the old. The point here is
that a library's job is NOT to keep everything it ever gets. Archives do
that, and even then they don't keep EVERYTHING, they only collect what
they define as being part of their mission. A collection devoted to, say,
northeast Pennsylvania history will not really want to keep a Virginia
almanac from 1850. Hence, on the archives listserv, there are messages
every other day that say "free to a good home", with a description of
fascinating items that do not fall into the domain of the archivist
posting the message, but may be of interest to some other repository.  I
think libraries should post the same kind of message to that list as well,
so that quality items at least get kept within the public/research realm.
Yes, sometimes bad purging decisions get made, but it should be realized
that no library can afford to not weed its holdings on a regular basis
without continually building new additions.

Matt Snyder
Music Archivist
Wilson Processing Project
The New York Public Library