Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage question of wax cylinders

Yes, of course.  Its a good idea to compare what others are doing.  Hope I didnt seem too snooty.  I dont mean to offend.  Just dont want to let our national institutions get away with anything you know, as we all are paying for them in our taxes.
  Its great that they are able to transfer all that information onto modern media. If you need any help on the digitization aspects, you can contact Brian Thurgood at Gatineau (if you havent already).  He has spent the last couple years immersed in digitization, so can advise on Best Practises,  Standards and Guidelines.  Bev

>>> colin.schlachta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/4/2005 3:10 PM >>>
Hello Bev,

Thanks for the reply, but yes the CMC certainly has a full staff of curators
and conservators, and in fact I was speaking to the head conservator on this
issue already.  I have been working on the museum's wax cylinder collection
for nearly three years now, and am using an Archeophones to transfer the wax
cylinder content into various digital formats.

I was just curious to know what solutions those institutions & or collectors
have chosen regarding the long term storage of wax cylinders in their
original containers.

Sincerely,

Colin Schlachta
Audio-Visual Archives