Re: [ARSCLIST] Storage of audio CDs

For the record, I don't always agree with Friedman, but he's got some things
righter than the powers that be who make policy. One thing he's right about
is that certain trends, among them the trends that feed and nourish "digital
corporations," are unstoppable. Whether we like it or not.

Now, that said, see today's Wall St. Journal editorial page and last week's
episode of "On the Media" (www.onthemedia.org) for some insight into what
Google is about to run into with this "Google Print" project.

I happen to agree with one of the guests on "On the Media" that our
copyright laws are dysfunctional and hopelessly out-dated, but the fact
remains that Google is not above the law just because it's new and
different. They may be about to be taught a hard lesson.

Also, just to clarify, I was not proposing violating any copyrights with
investigating a "Google Sound" type mega-archive. I was proposing that -- or
perhaps Archive.org, or some other place online that's liable to stay afloat
for the foreseeable -- would be a great home to things like interviews,
sound-journals, non-commercial live recordings, etc. From lurking on this
list and piping up more recently, I get the impression that most of the
material most of us work with is non-commercial (or old enough to be in the
PD) but of great interest to history and of some or great entertainment to
certain people out there who don't have access to it now. If these
hurricanes (just the latest history-wrecking disasters) taught us anything,
it should be that many copies in many places is a great strategy, and we
live in a time where that should be easier than ever.

Anyway, as usual, one man's opinion, etc.

-- Tom Fine