Re: [ARSCLIST] Disaster recovery- LPs

Mike Richter wrote:

> phillip holmes wrote:
> > So what's the prefered inner sleave for commercially produced LPs?
>
> Apart from the issue of cost, I'd recommend Tyvek. Short of that, paper.
>
> Mike
> --

Another failure of plastic-lined sleeves I encountered: about 5 years ago,
about ten thousand 78s that had originally belonged to the CBC in Halifax came
to me from a piano tuner who'd taken them in the 80s and stored them for
fifteen years. There must have been major variations in storage conditions and
temperatures. The shellac 78s were fine, except for varying amounts of dust and
oiliness, but a set of the first 20 "Historic Masters" pressings had severe
heat damage, and all but one of the plastic-lined sleeves now consisted of a
paper sleeve and a detached piece of plastic.

dl